Website BBC News
We are looking for a talented Senior Designer to join the BBC News team in North America, to help pave the way on innovative, forward thinking projects.
The role is central to a user’s experience of BBC News content across all our platforms. You’ll use, develop and grow our visual language, designing and building innovative projects, experiments and tools, as well as working closely with other teams to ensure continuity across the brand and our digital offerings.
You’ll be contributing and shaping how we tell stories for our readers, working on new storytelling formats and supporting innovation in the newsroom, collaborating with journalists and editors to create new templates through design and code.
You’ll be working end to end on content experiences that are viewed everyday by millions of people. You’ll enjoy working from scratch on new initiatives and optimising pre-existing experiences based on data and user insights. You’ll go out of your way to ensure the user is front and centre, taking a holistic approach to design and be driven to make something that functions as well as it looks.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the BBC News team in North America. The size of the digital team across Washington, New York, LA and Toronto is more than doubling to 40 journalists. There will be more writers, editors and specialist reporters as well as new hubs focused on production, visual journalism and growing our audience.
BBC News is committed to creating a more diverse, inclusive and agile organisation that responds quickly to changing audience needs, provides you with exceptional career opportunities, and strengthens our position as a world-leading source of trusted and impartial news.
- You’ll be shaping the design for how BBC News tells stories across all platforms. You’ll be ambitious in your thinking and be able to inspire others with your ideas.
- You’ll be working closely with our internal teams to develop and refine our visual storytelling as well as creating new ways of showcasing our journalism.
- You’ll be collaborating with editorial, through your creative thinking, design work and prototyping.
- You’ll create maps, diagrams, illustrations, animations and interactive storytelling formats to explain a range of complex stories to a multi-platform audience. Responsible from the inception through to delivering assets and functional specs.
- You’ll be working on the design of bespoke user experiences. Creating journeys, wireframes, designs and prototypes, in order to bring your ideas to life. You love to learn and help to foster a culture of experimentation in the team.
- You’ll be comfortable juggling multiple projects, and always eager to try something new.
- You’re able to working as part of a group, as well as alone, and able to articulate the rationale behind your design decisions to others as well as happy to join in healthy debate.
- You have the experience to own the design conversation, advocating for the user, and managing complex stakeholder landscapes
- You’ll be motivated to continuously improve your designs, working with user research and data to gain a deeper understanding of how designs are working, and proactive in driving forwards their improvement.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience working on a variety of projects, in user experience, motion and graphic design related roles
- A portfolio demonstrating your ability to conceive and execute on all aspects of the design process
- Ability to interpret and work within an established brand language, whilst helping evolve the design system.
- A working proficiency in front-end web development (HTML/CSS) that allows you to help create coded prototypes and experiments, and the ability to continuously learn relevant tools in a fast-changing field
- Knowledge of front end digital capabilities and limitations, and be able to use this to bring to life design solutions which match technical limitations
- A BA in a design related degree, or similar experience
- Expert knowledge of design software, such as Figma and Adobe Creative Cloud, as well as prototyping tools, such as, Webflow, Marvel, Invision etc.
Additional Skills Useful For The Role
- An interest in journalism
- An interest in current affairs
- Knowledge of After Effects and motion design
Continuing (permanent) contract. Local terms and conditions apply.
We have offices in Washington DC, Miami, LA or New York but will consider remote work for qualified candidates.
This is a local hire position and eligible candidates must be able to live and work in the US (US citizenship, Green Card or work authorisation).
To apply for this job please visit careerssearch.bbc.co.uk.