DVS is looking for an experienced event coordinator to serve as the Information is Beautiful (IIB) Awards Ceremony Manager, leading the organization and management of the IIB Awards Ceremony. The Awards are a global celebration of excellence in the field of data visualization, recognizing experienced practitioners and teams as well as emerging professionals.
The position is for immediate start, planning for a November 30, 2022 event in Washington DC. Please apply by filling out this form by September 13, 2022.
If you have any questions about the role or the application process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The IIB Awards Ceremony Manager is a part time contracted position with the Data Visualization Society and will manage the logistics of the Awards ceremony, working closely with the IIB Awards Program Manager and reporting to the Events Director.
The ceremony will take place on November 30, 2022 in Washington, D.C. United States, and will be livestreamed and made available as a recording for those interested in participating from other locations around the world.
Specific duties are expected to include:
Logistics and management:
- Vendor selection and management, including supporting selection and management of contracts and agreements for food and beverage, decor, audio visual equipment, trophies, photography, and other vendors on site for the Ceremony.
- Perform event setup and live event support related tasks, such as:
- Collaborate with catering and venue teams to create event floorplan
- Coordinate logistical arrangements required for a successful event (accessibility, equipment, signage & branding, place disposition)
- Ensure that all Health and Safety measurements are in place and enforced in alignment with standards set by the team
- Prepare and manage the run of show for the Awards Ceremony, including social hour, presentation of Awards, and celebration time hosted after the presentation of Awards concludes
- To be on site during the Awards ceremony and solve problems that may arise;
- Set up ticket sales in collaboration with the DVS Operations Director to allow for public purchase of event tickets for the in-person event and for virtual attendees.
- Manage attendees list, including free tickets provided to specific groups of attendees and paid attendees.
- Provide support to participants (before, during, and post event), solving issues or directing them to the appropriate channels/people
- Collaborate with the DVS Communications Team to create/review communication and promotional materials for encouraging attendance at the 2022 IIB Awards either in person or on the livestream event.
- Coordinate with the Communications team to live tweet announcements during the Ceremony.
- Other duties as requested by the Executive Director and IIB Awards Program Manager for the purpose of successfully planning and executing the 2022 IIB Awards Ceremony.
The period of performance for the role will be September (immediate start) through December 15, 2022 and executed as a fixed price contract. The total contract value is USD $5,000, with a payment schedule to be distributed across the period of performance based on a deliverable timeline to be determined jointly by the contractor and Events Director.
To be successful in this role, we’re looking for someone who is well organized, efficient and flexible. You should be comfortable working with tight schedules and solving problems. While much of the work will be independently led, ensuring we host an incredible event, you’ll have the support of our core IIB Awards team including the IIB Awards Program Manager and DVS Evens Director. As a globally distributed team supporting a global event, we expect that the person in this role can demonstrate cultural sensitivity and can ensure we design an accessible, inclusive event.
- Based in the United States, with experience coordinating events in Washington D.C. strongly preferred
- Must be available on November 30 (day of the Awards) to provide in-person support at the event in Washington, D.C., with flexible availability the week leading up to the event.
- Experience managing complex events in collaboration with a global team
Attentive to details, with the ability to manage multiple workstreams and vendors to execute a successful event
- Flexibility to join calls or meetings
Comfortable working with digital tools (e.g. productivity, time-management, scheduling)
Our ideal candidate also has:
- Passion and knowledge of the field of data visualization
- Familiar with the IIB Awards or other design awards programs
- Good communication skills
The Data Visualization Society is a registered 501(c)3 organization founded to serve as a professional home for those working across the discipline while leading others into this growing, dynamic field, and to increase the visibility and value of data visualization to the general public.
We seek to achieve this mission by investing in communication platforms and events to connect members, education platforms for teaching and learning, and leveraging those resources to foster skills growth, knowledge exchange, and meaningful critique. Our community will grow by engaging and encouraging underrepresented voices, and giving a place for ideas to be shared among data visualization developers, designers, artists, teachers, enthusiasts, and users.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.