Graphicacy, a data visualization, design and interactive studio, is recruiting data visualization engineer interns to join our team in the Fall and Winter of 2022.
The ideal candidate for this role will be passionate about gaining experience in front-end development working on leveraging your engineering toolkit to serve mission-driven clients whose focus is on making the world a better place.
About the Role
As a data visualization engineering intern, your primary responsibility will be to contribute to the interactive data visualizations that Graphicacy designs for our diverse set of clients. Working with your team lead, you will create and contribute features to the codebase, fix bugs, and help ship data visualization experiences.
- Pursuing a graduate degree in Human-Computer Interaction, User Experience or Human-Centered Computing.
- Some degree of comfort and experience with front-end SPA architecture, including state management, routing, event handling, etc.
- Appreciation of version control systems (Git) and CI/CD tools.
- Interest in building beautiful, useful and usable interactive data visualizations.
- Ability to keep to deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Passion and commitment to learning.
- Experience with D3, canvas, MapBox or other visualization libraries and tools
- Experience with CMSs such as Drupal, WordPress, etc.
- Experience with static site generators such as Gatsby, Next, etc.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis (SQL, R or other statistical packages)
- Knowledge of mobile-first and responsive development
What’s in it for you
- A paid internship
- Remote work (US-based only)
- This is a 4–6 month internship, with the possibility of turning into a full-time role commensurate with an exceptional performance evaluation by the Graphicacy management team.
Graphicacy is a mission-driven data visualization and design studio based in Washington, DC, with remote team members in Brooklyn, and Los Angeles. This opportunity is currently a remote position.
Graphicacy partners with clients to tell engaging stories with data. Graphicacy’s team combines storytelling, thoughtful human-centered design and deep technical capabilities to build and deploy strategic, data-rich digital projects. Graphicacy’s team has created data visualizations and websites for top-tier organizations and companies, domestically and internationally, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Google, the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center, the World Bank, the Center for American Progress, the Anti-Defamation League, and many others.
Graphicacy is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment where all team members feel valued, respected, and heard. We value diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures, and we strongly encourage applicants from a wide array of backgrounds and communities to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status, or medical condition.
We welcome and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Engineering Intern” in the subject. Please include a link to your Git or any relevant work samples. We are currently reviewing applications on a rolling basis for the fall and winter.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org