Website Ropes & Gray Insights Lab
R&G Insights Lab is an innovative, full service legal consulting
Who we are:
R&G Insights Lab is the legal industry’s first – and only – analytics and behavioral science consulting group. We take a data-driven and human-centered approach to solving complex legal and business challenges. The Lab uses analytics to drive informed decision-making; behavioral science to confront the realities of human bias; and the principles of human-centered design to develop creative solutions that prioritize individual experiences. Areas of client focus include: compliance, ethics and risk management; organizational culture; diversity, equity and inclusion; and other areas of corporate social responsibility. Put simply, we help our clients achieve their business goals, while also living their values. R&G Insights Lab is the legal consulting arm of Ropes & Gray, a preeminent global law firm with approximately 1,400 lawyers and legal professionals in New York, Boston, Washington, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, London, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo and Seoul.
We’re looking for a motivated and entrepreneurial leader to help us break new ground in an area with immense untapped potential. You will help shape the Lab’s overall business strategy; play a significant role in the development of innovative products and services; advise clients on the use of data and analytics to drive more effective decision-making; and lead multidisciplinary teams that design bespoke client solutions. You will also oversee development of the analytics work bench used by the Lab’s growing analytics team. This is a unique opportunity to play an important role in building a business that has a start-up mentality – with the resources and reach of one of the world’s preeminent law firms. We are open to having this person sit in any of our US offices, and offer significant flexibility for those who prefer remote work.
- Design visually engaging dashboards that transform potentially complicated statistical analyses into simple, actionable insights.
- Develop the statistical methodologies that sit behind the visualizations (with a focus on telling stories about organizational risk, employee behaviors, and cultural insights).
- Oversee the collection, ingestion, management, combination, analysis, and visualization of data for client projects; and otherwise manage client-facing analytics projects end-to-end.
- Utilize machine learning and other complex statistical methodologies to develop client-facing solutions that drive effective and efficient decision-making.
- Develop data-driven root-cause analyses.
- Develop predictive and prescriptive models to identify risk.
- Advise clients on strategies for building their own internal analytics capabilities
The Insights Lab is looking for a creative and entrepreneurial analytics leader; someone who shows up with ideas. The ideal candidate will have strong business-acumen and a demonstrated track record of designing and delivering innovative, analytically-powered products and services. You should also have strong communication skills (writing, interpersonal, public), deep expertise in the fundamentals of analytics and statistics, and the drive to come up with an idea and then deliver high quality results quickly. You must also be comfortable translating often complex methodologies and insights into a language that is easily consumable to audiences not as well-versed in analytics (including attorneys and clients).
- Proven experience as an analytics leader (either in-house or as a consultant).
- Advanced degree in statistics, computer science, engineering, applied mathematics or a similar quantitative analytics field required
- Must be comfortable with both leading and doing, especially in the early stages of our growth, as we continue to assemble the team.
- Experience with analytics in one or more of the following areas is preferred, but not required: ethical decision-making (compliance, ethics, risk management); diversity, equity and inclusion; organizational culture; and / or corporate social responsibility.
- Experience developing algorithms, building analytical models, and employing regression and machine learning techniques (supervised and unsupervised) to address business challenges.
- Substantive experience with data extraction / manipulation using Python and/or R.
- Experience with Tableau, MicroStrategy, PowerBI, or similar visualization tools required.
- Must be creative, strategic and business-minded – with strong problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills.