Website Simons Foundation
The Simons Foundation is growing our computational science division, the Flatiron Institute. The Scientific Computing Core (SCC), part of the Flatiron Institute, develops and deploys the computing infrastructure — including new computational methods and storage and data-handling systems — necessary for carrying out research at the institute’s many centers. The SCC also acts as a creator and disseminator of software tools for use by various scientific communities.
The SCC is seeking a Front End/UI Engineer who will report to the co-Director of SCC and will work in collaboration with members of the SCC and the scientific staff of the Flatiron Institute’s computational centers.
The Front End/UI Engineer will:
- Help maintain and expand React-based data exploration and visualization platforms.
- Help maintain and expand our internal identity and account management website in Flask.
- Assist staff scientists with design and implementation of data visualizations in a variety of media, as well as associated CSS and UI/UX for web presentations and other projects.
- Participate in the education and outreach activities of the SCC, including creating and maintaining documentation.
- B.S. in computer science or another scientific field
- At least two years of professional or academic experience with front-end software development and data visualization
- Background in user interface design
- Experience with some visualization tools like D3 or Seaborn
- Strong interest in supporting scientific end users
- Experience deploying websites
- Experience with Git
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience collaborating daily with other team members of different technical backgrounds
- Familiarity with JSON, Node.JS, Python and Linux
- Familiarity with Jupyter Notebook and Typescript
- Familiarity with design or wireframing software such as Sketch, Figma or Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of software engineering practices for working in groups, including software development life cycles, coding standards, code review and version control systems
- Experience with algorithms and data structures
- Experience running software in a cloud environment
- Technical and scientific curiosity
- Willingness to find and use the right tools to get the job done
- Exposure or comfort with user experience research
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION’S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.