About the Organization
SkyTruth is a conservation technology nonprofit that inspires people to protect the planet by using satellite imagery, big data, and the latest technological innovations to reveal environmentally damaging actions and make their impacts visible and measurable. Since its founding in 2001, countless organizations around the world have used SkyTruth’s products to hold polluters accountable for harmful activities that would otherwise remain hidden from view.
Mission: Sharing the view from space to promote conservation for people and the planet.
Vision: Everyone around the world enjoys a healthy environment and sustainable livelihood because transparency is the norm: polluters know they will be seen and caught, industries have cleaned up their practices, and governments are vigorously enforcing environmental protection.
SkyTruth’s Flagship Projects
Cerulean and Verdant apply artificial intelligence to analyze satellite imagery at scale. Cerulean automates the near real-time detection of oil pollution at sea, from cargo ships and tankers as well as oil and gas platforms, and identifies the polluters. Verdant is an effort to automatically detect changes in landscapes and ecosystems that signify threats to biodiversity and human well-being.
About the Position
SkyTruth seeks an experienced and creative Data Storyteller to: (1) Lead self-directed, internal data analysis and digital communications (storytelling) with SkyTruth’s datasets, tools, and programs; (2) Provide similar analysis and storytelling support in response to inbound requests from external stakeholders, including the media, advocacy organizations, and other key users, to enable them to tell compelling conservation stories with SkyTruth’s data products. The role is half analytical data scientist, half data journalist with a flair for visual storytelling.
Making hidden environmental problems visible is the first step to solving them. The ideal candidate will have a background in modern data science methods and tools, geospatial and remote sensing data, as well as data visualization and storytelling. They will be able to produce results quickly, balance competing priorities, and collaborate closely with SkyTruth’s technical and communications teams to unlock the full value and impact of our products. Above all, they will be motivated to translate data and imagery into impact for the conservation community. This role is 100% remote and will report to the CTO.
- Supporting outside stakeholders (e.g., journalists; advocates) to facilitate their storytelling using SkyTruth’s products, tools, and data analyses. The successful candidate will lead responses to urgent data and support requests from journalists and advocates working to make an impact with SkyTruth’s products and services.
- Data analysis and storytelling. Using SkyTruth’s products and datasets to tell written and visual stories that promote and inspire global conservation.
- Data visualization. Develop polished maps and other visual assets for web, slide decks, and social media.
- Continuing education and skill development. Develop and maintain an informed awareness and continued education on important developments in the field.
- Opportunity identification and exploration. Brainstorming with the team and identifying new opportunities to make unique contributions to the conservation space.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Broad knowledge of conservation issues to enable the identification, development, and execution of compelling story ideas.
- At least 3 years of experience using machine learning, statistical, and/or mathematical models to produce compelling insights from raw data.
- At least 3 years of experience with geospatial data, ideally including satellite remote sensing data.
- Experience with mapping and geospatial tools (e.g. Python, D3, QGIS)
- Knowledge of data visualization and design tools (e.g. Python, R, Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, Cinema 4D/Blender) and trends.
- Comfortable with Python and its major data science packages, such as numpy, pandas, and scikit-learn.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English language), especially with general and non-specialist audiences.
- Able to work and excel independently but strong desire to support, collaborate, and solve problems alongside colleagues and across multiple teams.
- Organized and responsive to outside stakeholders (e.g. journalists; customers)
If your experience and interests only match some of the above, we still want to hear from you! There is room for the right candidate to grow into other aspects of the role.
- Google Earth Engine
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time salaried position with an expected salary range of $80,000 to $110,000, with final compensation depending on skills and experience. SkyTruth offers a robust benefits package that includes a range of health insurance options and a retirement plan with a generous company match.
Our Interview Process
Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 60-minute interview with our hiring manager. This may be followed by a 1-2 hour take home exercise to demonstrate data analysis, visualization, and storytelling abilities. Candidates passing this stage will have 3 additional interviews with other members of the SkyTruth team. Reasonable accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates throughout all aspects of the selection process.
SkyTruth is a fully remote organization working across multiple time zones, so working hours may vary according to geography as well as operational and personal needs. Candidates can be located anywhere in the United States and must be able to reliably accommodate meetings across North American time zones. Periodic domestic and international travel may be necessary to participate in conferences, presentations, and meetings. Periodic (1-2 times per year) in-person team onsite meetings will resume when safe to do so given the COVID-19 pandemic.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
The staff and leadership of SkyTruth believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as an organization. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. SkyTruth is an equal opportunity employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees of SkyTruth and our partners, vendors, suppliers, and contractors. Your skills and experiences are needed here!
Please send a resume and one-page cover letter with the subject “SkyTruth data storyteller application” to email@example.com. Providing links to or examples of past work is helpful but not required.
To apply for this job please visit skytruth.org.