Website UMD iSchool
The College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland, College Park (iSchool) (https://ischool.umd.edu/) invites applications for an open rank tenured or tenure track faculty position in the area of data visualization and visual analytics. The iSchool particularly seeks candidates whose scholarship and teaching interests are centered and focused on one or more of the following areas:
● Data visualization;
● Visual analytics;
● Ubiquitous, immersive, and situated analytics; and
● Human-computer interaction for visual data representations.
We seek a candidate whose work complements and extends the College’s existing strengths in human-data interaction, novel devices for visualization, personal health visualization, accessible visualization, and visualization systems. While these areas of expertise are of particular interest, candidates with expertise and interest in other relevant topics in the area of data visualization and visual analytics are encouraged to apply.
iSchool invites interested professionals of all backgrounds to join our vibrant, collaborative, mission-driven organization. Candidates whose work recognizes the information norms and assets of marginalized communities particularly relating to the topics above are especially encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will engage in an active program of high-impact research, teach at the undergraduate and graduate level, provide research advising to students at all levels, and engage in service to the profession and shared governance within the university.
This is an open-rank, tenure-track or tenured appointment. Tenure-track Assistant Professors are appointed for three years, with potential renewal for three more years and tenure review. Rank and appointment type are based on a candidate’s record. Salary and benefits are competitive and based upon qualifications. Tenure-track and tenured faculty typically have 9-month appointments, with opportunities for grant-funded research and university-funded teaching in the summer. For this position, the successful candidate will be involved in:
● Developing and conducting high-impact research agenda and disseminating research results;
● Designing and developing innovative information studies curricula;
● Crafting exceptional educational experiences for students;
● Contributing to relevant professional communities; and
● Participating in shared governance.
Hiring and appointment are subject to College and University approval.
To apply you will need to provide:
● A letter of interest that clearly describes your background and expertise in the area, requested rank (Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor), and the unique contributions you would make to the iSchool and the University of Maryland.
● A complete curriculum vitae (CV) with details on education, professional positions, and all research, university teaching, and service activities.
● A list of 3 professional references. For each reference include the person’s title, institution, contact information (including phone number and email address), the capacity in which you know (or have known) this person, and how long you have known this person.
● A statement of your research interests and accomplishments; and
● A statement of your teaching experience and approach.
● A Ph.D degree at the time of appointment;
● Demonstrated research excellence with a rank-appropriate record of peer-reviewed research in information science, computer science, or related area; and
● Demonstrated effectiveness and innovation in teaching, as appropriate to rank
● Recognized for notable research projects, peer-reviewed publications, or other scholarly contributions as appropriate to rank;
● A record of, or potential for, securing external funding, as appropriate to rank;
● Teaching experience in related areas, as appropriate to rank; and
● A record of leadership contributions, as appropriate to rank.
Best Consideration Date: 12/15/2022
To apply please use the UMD ejobs link: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/99435