The Houston Chronicle is looking for an ambitious senior-level graphics reporter with strong visualization skills to join our growing data team. This role will work alongside the data editor to craft the newsroom’s approach to using and visualizing data.
The senior data visualization reporter will be a player-coach capable of providing guidance to both data team members and journalists across the newsroom. They will also lead the Chronicle’s approach to cutting-edge visual storytelling.
The successful candidate will be self-directed and capable of working on multiple projects with different deadlines. They will work quickly but responsibly on visual-heavy data stories that help readers understand complex topics through unique reporting, data analysis and interactive graphics creation.
We’re seeking a self-starter with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills, and is comfortable providing and taking feedback. We want a teammate who aspires to be a key player in an exciting, modern news operation that values a smart, local readership and aims to take risks in how we report and present journalism online.
What the Senior Data Visualization Reporter will do:
- Write code to find (python), analyze (python/R) and visualize (react/d3.js) large datasets.
- Report data-driven articles and develop news apps for HoustonChronicle.com. (ask about our interactives rig!)
- Collaborate with newsroom reporters to produce unique, high-impact journalism.
- Assist the data editor in editing data team and other teams analysis, graphics and stories.
- Work with the data editor to develop newsroom trainings to further data literacy across the newsroom.
- Take ownership of finding new, innovative ways to visualize data and tell stories.
What it will take to be successful:
- Experience in a modern newsroom or a related work environment.
- Plus: Leadership experience.
- Ability to work with multiple, large datasets, preferably using Python, R or similar coding languages.
- Web development or data visualization experience, preferably using React, Svelte or similar component-based frameworks.
- Plus: Mapping and GIS skills, preferably using QGIS and MapLibre.
- Knowledge of current multimedia storytelling techniques and a desire to explore new, non-traditional story formats, specifically as it pertains to visualizing data and how systems work
- Strong news judgment, creativity and meticulousness.
- A dedication to organization and documentation.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Ability to meet deadlines on short, medium and some longer-turn projects.
- Attention to detail in analysis and visual presentations, specifically as it pertains to current best practices.
- A strong desire to collaborate with all newsroom teams to produce the best journalism possible.
- This position is full-time.
- It will likely include some weekend and holiday work.
- The successful candidate must be based in Houston or willing to move to the area.
To apply for this job please visit eevd.fa.us6.oraclecloud.com.