PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to a healthy, resilient, and equitable energy future.
Our team of public health professionals, scientists, and engineers integrate technical expertise across multiple fields to inform science-based energy policy. Our mission is to generate science-based energy and climate solutions that protect public health and the environment.
PSE Healthy Energy is seeking a talented Data Visualization Designer to translate complex datasets into compelling visual stories that effectively engage diverse audiences. As a member of PSE’s communications team, The Data Visualization Designer will collaborate with PSE’s researchers to surface relevant data stories and will oversee the development of a range of interactive data visualizations. This role will require technical expertise in data visualization tools, techniques, and website integration; excellent visual design skills; and strong communication and collaboration skills.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with researchers and the communications team to understand their data visualization and communication goals, evaluate audience needs, and develop user-friendly and visually compelling dashboards and visualizations.
- Support across the full development cycle including defining requirements, coding, testing, deploying, documenting, and maintaining dashboards across platforms.
- Develop custom website integrations, including restructuring data to improve computing time, adapting visualizations to mobile, and other technical aspects as needed.
- Design and implement sophisticated user interfaces and experiences that optimize the user experience of data visualizations and dashboards on our website.
- Establish systems for quality assurance and review of all data visualizations and website integrations to ensure accuracy, usability, and adherence to branding and style guidelines.
- Develop guidance, train, and mentor staff on data visualization and UX/UI best practices, techniques, and tools.
- Keep up to date with emerging trends and technologies in data visualization and UX and recommend innovative solutions to enhance our research outputs.
It is not expected that a single candidate will have expertise across all these areas—we’re seeking candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest, capabilities, and willingness to learn in others.
- At least 4 years of experience developing interactive data visualizations, with a demonstrated ability to lead and execute data visualization projects from start to finish.
- Experience integrating data visualizations into websites.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Meticulous attention to detail and the ability to produce accurate and high-quality visualizations.
- Ability to work with large datasets efficiently and knowledge of statistical concepts.
- Experience with software best practices and version control (e.g., Github).
- Experience working with and customizing web-based applications (e.g., Tableau, Power BI, Shiny, Dash).
- A sense of humor!
- Experience in UX/UI development and design.
- Experience in graphic design and related software, including Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Experience developing automated workflows for data visualization applications.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services).
- Experience working in a research or policy-focused environment is preferred.
- Familiarity with energy, climate, or other relevant research-related topics.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The anticipated salary range is $90,000-$105,000+, though the successful candidate could be hired above or below this range depending on qualifications and geographic location. Benefits are competitive and include health insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, 15 days of vacation, paid sick leave and 11+ paid holidays.
To apply for the Data Visualization Designer position, please apply online. Submit a resume or CV, provide a cover letter , respond to the question prompts, and share a link to portfolio materials though the cover letter field or upload a document with link in the online application.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
PSE Healthy Energy participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.