NYC's advocate for walking, bicycling, and public transit
Reports to: Director of Research
Summary of Position
Transportation Alternatives (TA), New York City’s advocate for walking, bicycling, and public transportation, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with a 50-year history of fighting for safer streets and better transportation in New York City. TA uses a combination of neighborhood-level grassroots organizing and city and state-wide advocacy to push for changes in public policy, street design, and resource allocation that transform our city’s streets for the better.
The Data Visualization Coordinator will report to, and work in close partnership with, TA’s Director of Research. The right candidate is well-versed in turning large and complex data sets into easy-to-digest visualizations in order to help achieve TA’s data-driven mission, is interested in democratizing data, and has a passion for making New York City’s streets safe and equitable.
- Distill policy ideas, research, or large data sets into insightful visualizations with an engaging narrative that people want to read or interact with, and will empower them to act in order to further TA’s mission
- Develop static and interactive data visualization, maps, dashboards, and infographics from data sets to convey complex information in clear, concise visual formats in order to better inform our campaigns and help grow TA’s image as a resource for our members, the public, reporters, and elected representatives
- Act as a thought leader in democratizing data, building internal and public-facing dashboards that explain in plain-terms how access to data helps advance TA’s mission.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to the Director of Research, including database management
Qualified candidates will bring with them
- Expertise in data analysis languages such as SQL, R, and Python (among others) for the purpose of accessing, extracting, analyzing, querying, and manipulating complex data
- Advanced knowledge of data and mapping tools such as GIS, Excel, Google Suite, Google Data Studio, and dashboard tools such as Tableau
- Proficiency in statistical methods
- Excellent analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, frequently changing environment
- Strong work ethic and time-management skills; ability to meet goals and deadlines
- Detail-oriented and extremely well-organized
- Passion for TA’s mission.
Exceptional candidates will also bring with them
- Familiarity with New York City’s technology community
- Familiarity with New York City politics, technology community, or the safe streets movement
- Familiarity with working for an advocacy or non-profit organization
Please send a short cover letter (< 250 words), resume, and 3 examples of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Data Visualization Coordinator” as the subject line.
This position is included in the bargaining unit of TA employees represented by the Technical, Office and Professional Union, T.O.P. Local 2110 UAW.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference. BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.